Sally Wiener Grotta Author, Photographer & Speaker
- Thanksgiving: The Family Joys, The Pain-Filled National Myth and The Dreamby Sally Wiener Grotta on November 26, 2020 at 5:18 pm
Thanksgiving memories can be of family joy. But for Native Americans, it's also a day of sorrow. Uniting the two facts is a dream of fellowship and shared bounty. May we be guided by the dream rather than the blood-stained myth.
- As the Gates Begin to Closeby Sally Wiener Grotta on September 28, 2020 at 11:45 pm
As the sun sets on Yom Kippur -- a day set aside for reflection, to evaluate our past deeds and failures, to seek forgiveness from those we have wronged, and to rededicate ourselves to a better future -- I've decided to share this poem that evolved out of my meditations this morning.
- Change Begins with Meby Sally Wiener Grotta on June 6, 2020 at 3:35 pm
At the end of the day, when black mothers are living nightmares I can only imagine, I know that change begins with me, with my actions. Words are not enough.
- A New Wave of Authentic Communication in the Era of Covid-19by Sally Wiener Grotta on May 23, 2020 at 8:30 pm
As we shelter in place, some of us are completely alone, though lucky singles like me have a pet to keep us company. But for the majority of us who have Internet connections, we’re not truly alone. We are connecting with each other on a deeper, richer level than ever before – and far more frequently.
- BookTV Video: The Wordsmiths Project by Sally Wiener Grottaby Sally Wiener Grotta on April 30, 2020 at 11:52 pm
BookTV interviewed Sally Wiener Grotta at the opening of The Wordsmiths Project photo exhibit for which she created interpretive portraits of people behind the scenes in book publishing. The launch exhibit was at Book Expo 2007 at Javits Center, NYC
- Video: Preparing Newborns & Toddlers to Love Books & Readingby Sally Wiener Grotta on April 15, 2020 at 7:48 pm
In this episode of "What If? Why Not? How?", Sally Wiener Grotta talks with Saroj Ghoting, the Early Childhood Literacy consultant, who shares tips for engaging newborns, toddlers and young children in the joy of books and how to make them lifelong readers.
- Video: Sally Wiener Grotta Reads Her Beatles Short Story “The Truth Within”by Sally Wiener Grotta on April 12, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Video: George Harrison has a sure-fire plan for world peace, if Richard Nixon will listen to him. Sally Wiener Grotta reads her story "The Truth Within" from the anthology "Across the Universe: Tales of Alternative Beatles."
- All the Weight of the Earth: a poemby Sally Wiener Grotta on April 5, 2020 at 5:46 pm
Though I wrote this poem several years ago, it feels very appropriate for this April.
- The Sprecher & Roseby Sally Wiener Grotta on March 30, 2020 at 3:45 pm
In 1918, my Aunt Rose's life was saved during the Spanish flu epidemic by a traditional "sprecher", a Jewish man who sat by her bed talking to her. Or so my Grandma believed. A superstition? Perhaps. But maybe words and a loving touch can keep the spirit tied to life, or at least make life worth living.
- Take It from a Freelancer: Time Management Tips for Working from Homeby Sally Wiener Grotta on March 19, 2020 at 1:43 pm
Working from home is nothing new for freelance writer/artist Sally Wiener Grotta. Here's the time management routine she has developed over the years which has helped her be so productive.